At Octopus we're transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We've built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 800 people and manage more than £8.5 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don't just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we're always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values. Job Description
Octopus Labs is looking to hire a talented PHP
developer to help develop our FinTech platforms. Reporting to the Team Lead with guidance and collaboration from the Tech Lead within your team, you will be working with a team of talented developers to build and support cloud based API's. We work within a Microservices architecture and you will be building out components that that are integral to the processing of our financial data.
We are passionate about agile delivery so you will be working alongside designers, testers, product owners and DevOps engineers in SCRUM teams. We develop iteratively and deliver continuously. We work in a DevOps environment and you will be expected to automate wherever you see the opportunity. Responsibilities
- Working closely with the Tech Lead to ensure development meets the business requirements and roadmaps
- Ensuring our code and systems are secure and adhere to InfoSec guidelines.
- Collaborating with the team lead on solutions design, technical designs for new components\\features, estimating effort, and scoping development activities.
- Knowledge sharing
- Maintaining an appropriate level of automation in our SDLC
We have significant tech diversity within our teams and encourage the use of new technology that delivers business value. For this specific role the current tech stack includes but is not limited to:
- Octopus Labs is driving innovation and technical change throughout Octopus Group
- We're one of the largest VCs in Europe.
- We love entrepreneurs.
- We're happy for you to keep working on your side-projects.
- Started in a bedroom 19 years ago and still run by the same founders
- We have a strong entrepreneurial flair and a culture of always asking questions
- Flexible working hours
- Stunning office
- Competitive Salary + benefits
- Diverse/multinational team
Additional Information Our Values and DNA
- Working closely with the Tech Lead you will ensure development adheres to the approved architectural standards of the company
- You will have experience with PHP frameworks (Laravel, Symfony) and Typescript.
- You have been building microservices, and know the challenges of API led development
- You have been working in a DevOps focussed environment and appreciated the value of automation.
- You have experience of working with cloud platforms
- Excellent knowledge of RESTful API standards, scalability, and job queuing
- You have an understanding of the tools that can be used to keep our systems secure (automated pen tests, static code analysis etc.)
- You will have an understanding and appreciation of SOLID and OOP principles
- You will have been working in an agile team and appreciate the benefits of that development methodology
- You have worked with CI\\CD tools (Jenkins, Travis), and have some knowledge of Docker and Kubernetes
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
- We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best. What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.