Job Title: RPG Developer
Salary: Commensurate with experience plus a good range of benefits
Duration: Fixed-term (up to 12 months)
Hours: 35 hours a week, Monday to Friday
About the role
The RPG developer role is within the company’s systems development team, working alongside Java and .NET developers. The post holder will be responsible for the development and support of Ecclesiastical’s General Insurance administration systems. This is primarily I+ (i90) which runs on an IBMi platform, but also includes EDI and interfaces with various document generation, general ledger, CRM, workflow, and web interface systems for the company’s online selling applications. The systems development team is responsible for the administration, analysis, design, development and testing of changes to the systems and interfaces.
All RPG developers have licenses to develop code on RDi. An understanding of older RPG code is important, although all new code is written in free-format using ILE techniques.
The job is a mix of business-as-usual and project work, with an ever-changing balance between the two. It involves configuration, customisation, and programming, and it requires a lot of interaction with the IT teams, business analysts, and the wider business.
· Extensive RPGLE programming experience, in different flavours of RPG.
· Experience in developing free-format code.
· Writing complex SQL statements.
· Good working knowledge of communicating with the IFS.
· Ability to communicate up to a senior level with business representatives, suppliers and customers, and other areas of IT - including presenting on areas of expertise to small groups.
· Ability to interpret complex business requirements and define appropriate solutions.
· Able to lead and take responsibility for the delivery of detailed and complex tasks and complete small projects, taking responsibility for estimating effort, allocation of work, and ensuring quality delivery of entire pieces of work.
· Displays innovative thinking when establishing solutions to problems, going outside of existing skill sets when necessary.
Desirable skills & experience:
· Developing code in RDi.
· I+ (I/90) including UFR design and CMX.
· Detailed understanding of insurance processes, terminology and compliance implications.
· Microsoft technologies such as Team Foundation Server, SharePoint.
· Ability to take ownership of commercial relationships with external third parties and of internal relationships with sections of the business.
· Inputs into developing strategy and innovation.
· Recommend change to the strategic direction of technology.
· Ability to take presentational lead at meetings.
To apply, please email your CV and cover letter to us.
Early applications are encouraged.