Senior full stack developer
Senior full stack developer
Salary: £42,000 per annum when working full time (35 hours a week)
Location: Bristol or Harwell
Jisc is helping to ensure the UK remains at the forefront of innovation within UK education and research – by mobilising the very best people and technologies in the application of digital thinking, digital content and connectivity.
It’s our vision to enable the UK to become the most digitally-advanced education and research nation in the world. It’s a bold statement, but one that we’re determined to fulfil.
We want Jisc to be a great place to work. A place where people make a difference to our members, feel valued and have fun – how we work is a vital part of that. Our values are our guiding principles. They define how we work and help us to do what we do so well. Our values are:
- Pride: We have pride in what we do but aren’t arrogant or complacent
- Passion: Our passion drives everything we do
- Pace: We deliver at the right pace to meet the needs of our members and each other
- Trust: You can trust us to deliver on our promises
- Teamwork: We are one team and teamwork makes us better
About the role
We are looking for a Drupal Developer responsible for both front-end development and theming as well as back-end/module development. This position requires a combination of programming skills (PHP, HTML, CSS, JS, etc.)
We are looking for someone who has a strong understanding of industry trends and content management systems. Experience with responsive and adaptive design is strongly preferred. In addition, an understanding of the entire web development process, including design, development and deployment, with strong back-end knowledge.
Responsible for designing and implementing new features and functionality, establishing and guiding the website's architecture, ensuring high-performance and availability, and managing all technical aspects of the CMS.
We follow agile principles and all opinions matter equally, from junior developers right up to Head of Technology. This is a real opportunity for an ambitious developer to help shape the future of Jisc.
We’re looking for someone with:
- Experience developing web solutions in Drupal (7/8) and PHP implementations
- Advanced site-building experience including deep familiarity with Drupal modules such as CTools, Views, and Panels
- Experience creating custom Drupal modules
- Knowledge of PHP, PHP files and theme functions, and knowledge of the Drupal theme layer
- Comfortable working with debugging tools like X Debug, Firebug, Chrome inspector, etc
- Thorough understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle (e.g. Requirements, Design, Development, Testing) and exposure to Agile or interactive SDLCs
- Experience supporting high traffic web applications
Why work at Jisc
- We’re working towards being a pretty flexible organisation and our people having a good work/life balance is important to us. We focus on outputs and outcomes rather than presenteeism, so as long as you’re delivering to our high standards and doing a great job, we are open to a variety of working arrangements.
- We’re constantly learning and developing, and all our people have access to a comprehensive range of learning resources to help them achieve this.
- Our benefits are pretty good too – we offer 25 days holiday (plus 3 days Christmas closure), contribute a huge 18% to your 8% for your pension from day one, and can provide discounts with various IT suppliers, cycle to work schemes, season ticket loans, and generous parental leave arrangements (amongst many other things).
This role will be based in Bristol or Harwell.
Jisc is a geographically-distributed organisation and travel across the UK may be required at times.
At Jisc we celebrate diversity and know that it’s critical for our success. We are continuing to drive an inclusive culture, so if you are great at what you do and embrace our values, we want to hear from you.
No agencies please.