You’ll be building the server-side of the Opal suite, using Ruby on Rails to create flexible components with clean interfaces to manage the creation, manipulation, and storage of Word documents.
The role is based in our Belfast HQ, but we're flexible with remote work, as long as you can spend at least a day a week in the office.
Most of the time, you’ll be designing, coding, testing, and documenting key components and interfaces of the Opal suite. You’ll work very closely with our technical lead, who will also be hands-on coding.
Occasionally, you'll build prototypes to validate proposed features and new ideas.
You’ll also work with the CTO, technical lead, and other team members to define and implement standards for how we work: our agile methodology, coding standards, development tools, deployment practices, and more. This is a green field development and we want to use tomorrow’s best practices today.
SKILLS YOU NEED TO HAVE:
- a methodical, structured approach to designing systems; knowledge of design patterns, best practices, and new innovations in computer science. You’ll be expected to keep up-to-date with new technologies and introduce them to the rest of the team; even if we don’t use them, we should know what’s out there
- a minimum of four years’ experience building software in a commercial environment, preferably for a product company (if you have lots more, that’s great; we’re old too)
- at least two years of hands-on experience writing Ruby/Ruby on Rails
- some experience with relational databases – you need to be able to build a data model, write SQL, and apply sensible indexes.
SKILLS TO HELP YOU STAND OUT:
- building or working with RESTful API components
- NoSQL experience (MongoDB or similar – anything that stores XML or JSON)
- experience with cloud infrastructure e.g. Docker, AWS, Azure.