MI Forecasting Tech Team is a team of analysts carrying out in-depth analysis on GfK sales data and triangulating it with external data points to explain and anticipate developments in the technology-device and other marketplaces.
Our mission is to leverage GfK sell-out data to deliver timely, primary and incremental research to industry clients and investment managers.
We are looking for a strong and dynamic Senior Software Engineer to join our existing tech team – to help create and launch our brand new forecasting platform on AWS and help develop the products and services that we will deliver from this platform for both external and internal clients.
The successful candidate will help design and develop new full stack solutions and services using technologies such as (but not exclusively) AWS, .NET Core, C#, Node.js. React.js, Vue.js, Lambda, Serverless, Redshift, Entity Framework, Java, Python, PHP, SQL Server and MySQL, and having some knowledge of R, Scala, and Spark would be very useful too (but not essential).
We need someone who has a very strong DevOps mindset, who has a clear understanding of CI, CD, Unit Tests, and Application monitoring, and what tools to use – and from the get go incorporates this "way of working" into everything they and the team do.
You will be working alongside more traditional experienced BI and Web developers, Data Engineers and our Data Science team, the candidate will therefore need excellent communication skills and the ability to mentor and educate others in best practices in modern software engineering.
- Architect, Integrate and Build Solutions for our External and Internal customers
- Design & develop new projects, and integrations with existing systems
- Understand business requirements and refine into development tasks and estimate their complexity
- Research, evaluate and adopt new technologies with a right tool for the job mentality
- Prototype, fail rapidly and iterate.
- Focus on both speed of delivery and quality, with suitable pragmatism
- Progression of projects from prototype to post-production stage
- Communication and presentation of ideas to colleagues in all parts of the wider business
- Take responsibility for areas of the system
- Mentoring & code review
- Help put in place a DevOps mentality across the tech team
- 70% Software Engineering - Technical Advancements and Development
- 20% Mentoring
- 10% Project Management
- Ability to quickly implement robust and scalable tools and services – you can hit the ground running.
- Being a super productive engineer.
- Excellent knowledge of best practices and modern day design patterns, including Micro Services, ORM, Serverless Functions, RESTful APIs
- Good experience working on AWS
- Good working knowledge of a good proportion of these languages, frameworks and data stores: .NET Core, C#, ASP, MVC, Vue.js, Node.js, CSS, HTML5, Entity Framework, PHP, MySQL, SQL Server, Stored Procedures, T-SQL, Java, Python, Swagger
- Living and Breathing Agile SCRUM
- Solid knowledge around DevOps – particularly Continuous Integration, auto-build and auto-deployment technologies – like Bamboo, Jenkins, Octopus, or similar. You have also used application monitoring solutions like New Relic or Log tech like Splunk
- Solid knowledge on Unit Testing and Automated Testing and successful implementation of this.
- You have experimented with AWS and Azure functions, admin and APIs
- You have used Docker, Containers and are familiar with Kubernetes
Our Current Toolkit
- Visual Studio Pro 2017
- Visual Studio Code
- Jira (project management – sprint and Kanban boards), StoriesOnBoard and Trello
- SQL Server Management Studio 2016
- Bitbucket / GitHub
- R Studio / Anaconda
- Power BI
- Notepad++, Sublime
- Docker and Hyper-V
- Balsamiq and CodePen
- AWS and On Prem (Linux RedHat, Windows Server 2016)