HOW YOUR DAY LOOKS LIKE
You bang your head against the desk every time your manager asks you to write pretty useless #code for anonymous functions/classes. You are, in general, a tolerant and high-minded individual, almost as tolerant as C++ (one can hope :). You miss having level headed discussions and writing code that’s actually going to be used.
You consider yourself to be pretty flexible in your approach to testing, and you like to create new applications from scratch, as well as maintain and evolve complex rails applications with substantial codebases.
You now hit a block, and have become just another anonymous function passed to a loop or another function. Wanna change all that?
Come join us in our Birmingham office as our new Senior Ruby on Rails Developer. We're located in the heart of Birmingham city centre, close to Bus and Rail (see what I did there) lines.
HOW YOUR DAY WITH UTRACK LOOKS LIKE
You will work closely with our frontend developers (we primarily use #React.js and #ReactNative), and other backend teams to build new features, drive technical direction, and build scalable applications targeting modern browsers and native mobile applications.
Our Ruby technical stack includes #RubyonRails, #Postgres, and #Redis.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING...SPECIFICALLY
You’ll be working on two existing applications that provide APIs for native mobile applications as well as web-based administrative views for two of our key products. You will also be creating a new application to handle operational and analytical data, to be presented to both internal and external stakeholders, as we strive to improve our operational intelligence.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Understand performance concerns when working with Ruby web applications: IO, GIL, workers, threads, memory consumption, response times, database query optimisation
- git for source control management
- Create new applications from scratch, as well as maintaining and evolving complex rails applications with substantial codebases
- Judicious approach to testing, and experience with writing unit tests, controller tests, integration tests, and functional tests
- Experience designing and implementing APIs and client authentication
- Talented Ruby developer with 3+ years’ experience in Ruby on Rails
- Sidekiq background processing of jobs
- Creating new applications from scratch, as well as maintaining and evolving complex rails applications with substantial codebases
- Postgres and PostGIS specifically, but experience with other databases and data stores is positive
- Creating/maintaining Docker builds of Ruby applications
- Managing AWS resources and services
Salary will be in line with experience. uTrack offer a generous healthcare and pension plan, gym membership, daily paid breakfast and lunches to all employees, annual performance bonus, boozy nights out, flexible working arrangements and the latest technology to work with.
GET IN TOUCH
We’re a diverse bunch and come from all over the world – Lithuania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Romania, Venezuela, Ireland, UK so candidates from all backgrounds are welcome.
If we think you’re a potential fit, we will arrange a short HR telephone interview, if all goes well, you’ll be further tested on your technical abilities through a technical test involving the development of a small rails application from scratch.
We totally get this is a long list of asks, but we would encourage you to apply anyways, if you believe you can do the job and don't quite meet all of the criteria!
We don’t need help from recruitment agencies at this point, but if we get stuck, we’ll let you know.