KATANA®'s highly efficient, collaborative approach to lighting and look development gives you the creative scope and scalability to meet the needs of today’s most demanding CG-rendering projects.
Equally suited to both short and long-form animation and VFX projects, KATANA’s unique design lets you work with massive scenes and high volumes of shots; easily reuse looks; and make revisions without repeating scene setup work, so you can spend more time achieving higher quality results.
This role is based in London - with the team split between London and Manchester - and we’re looking for someone with an appetite to combine technical expertise with the leadership.
As a Lead Engineer at Foundry, you are responsible for the delivery of a software to the requirements from the REST of business. At a high level, you will be responsible for taking these requirements through several phases, keeping the business appraised of progress towards a deadline throughout:
Conception - managing expectation of the timescales and cost of completion.
Production - leading the development and QA teams to deliver on those expectations and appraising the business of progress and blockers. You will ensure technical and architectural quality in both teams during this phase.
Delivery - pushing the feature set through alpha and beta phases with internal and external testers to deliver a quality solution.
Maintenance - improving technical quality and mitigating technical debt whilst managing and fixing any defects that might occur. This phase may occur in parallel with conception, production, and delivery of other phases.
As the team is located in two UK offices relatively frequent trips to Manchester will be required. Occasional trips to other countries to visit customers, may occur as part of this role. This is a hands on role; you will be expected to code as well as manage the team to build the product.
As part of leading the software teams through these phases, the key responsibilities required are:
Software design: Breaking user stories into engineering tasks, monitoring and guiding the design and implementation of high-level, complex software features.
Software architecture: Understanding, and progressing, the architecture of the software you develop is essential to being successful. With the engineers in your team, you will be expected to make maintainable, testable code, paying off technical debt in a pragmatic manner as you deliver new features and functionality.
Management: Engineering delivery of your product including, but not limited to, day-to-day management of the engineers, mentoring and personal development, assigning tasks, maintenance and implementation quality. You are also responsible for taking a lead in working with Product Management, Technical Authors, Support and other teams that contribute to your product deliverables and success.
Schedules & Estimates: Agile project planning by estimating the task backlog and assigning tasks to engineers and sprints. You are responsible for understanding the agile metrics of your team and the estimated release dates of the product and communicating this to the business.
- Experience of real world challenges, pragmatic, Agile process driven
- 2+ years of building and managing a team of 10 engineers or more
- C/C++ skills - at least 5 years commercial experience
- Python scripting (other scripting language beneficial)
- Experience with improving and refactoring legacy code
- Developed, debugged and deployed software that has been used in real world applications/projects
- Creative approach to problem solving, great analytical skills and engineering fundamentals
- Experience of managing the entire dev process, including QA
- Experience of cross OS development including Qt across Linux and Windows
- Good communication skills, well organised, good time management
- 3D, OpenGL, and experience of geometry, lighting, and rendering beneficial but not required
BENEFITS & PERKS.
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Pension scheme & life assurance
- Health cash plan & medical insurance,
- Season ticket loan
- Company’s social events
- Beer O’Clock Fridays
- Gym memberships
- Learning & development plans
- Foundry’s discount & saving scheme
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.