Note: This role is located in London, UK and is unable to offer visa sponsorship or paid relocation.
What is the role?
We are looking for an experienced Java back-end developer to join the Consumer Data team in our London Office and help build the systems that will enable us to understand our users’ behaviour and ultimately improve their experience by delivering the most appropriate content.
Who are the Consumer Data team?
Rightmove captures over 50 million events for millions of users every day, and the Consumer Data team is responsible for providing the analysis and insight into their behaviour as well as building and maintaining the necessary platforms to do this. Consumer Data is a blend of data science, data engineering and software development.
In order to process and analyse such large amounts of data, we use a combination of Big Data and web technologies such as Hadoop/MapR, Spark, MLLib, XGBoost, Zeppelin, Docker, Spring, Nginx, Couchbase, Java, Scala, cloud and bare-metal infrastructure.
A typical week in the Consumer Data team might involve…
- Building microservices and working with the team on progressing data processing pipelines
- Working with your team to deliver insights into the behaviour of Rightmove’s millions of users
- Collaborating with other development teams to integrate our platforms with services and products
- Discussing and designing the most appropriate software architecture with Architects and Tech Leads
- Working with our SysOps and external Cloud provider on infrastructural aspects
- Maintaining and ensuring the quality of the platforms and processes you work with
The first project that you will work on will be to build a new microservice capable of storing and providing programmatic access to user models and insights for both client-side browsers and other server-side microservices.
Why join our team?
Consumer Data is in a unique position to work with both web and Big Data technologies, handling billions of consumer behaviour events for millions of users, to enable Rightmove to model and deliver the most appropriate content to an array of different audiences.
If you are interested in this type challenging opportunity, in a team that encourages involvement from the commercial/discovery phase to technical implementation, then this is the team for you!
We’re looking for someone who...
- Loves to help find the best solutions possible when faced with a challenge
- Takes the initiative when they spot an opportunity for improvement
- Seeks to understand the context and broader outcomes of the projects they work on
- Likes to share their knowledge with the REST of the team
- Has a good knowledge of Java and web applications
- Is interested in Big Data technologies and challenges
- Likes to build a fun working environment with their team
Ultimately, we care much more about the person you are, how you think and approach problems and opportunities, than a list of qualifications and buzzwords on a CV. Even if you can’t say ‘yes’ to all of the above, but are smart, self-motivated and passionate about delivering great solutions then get in touch.