Django/Python web developer
Django/Python web developer
Salary: from £35,500 per annum when working full time (35 hours a week)
Working at Jisc as a developer puts you at the forefront of cutting edge web design and implementation. We are designing forward thinking products for our education customers and you can make the difference between developing a stellar web application and not just an adequate one - making a difference to hundreds of institutions and thousands of students.
We encourage the use of new ideas, technologies and embrace the exciting world of DevOps and agile development to keep our products real and focussed on the needs of our customers.
We want Jisc to be a great place to work. A place where people make a difference to our members, feel valued and have fun – how we work is a vital part of that. Our values are our guiding principles. They define how we work and help us to do what we do so well. Our values are:
- Pride: We have pride in what we do but aren’t arrogant or complacent
- Passion: Our passion drives everything we do
- Pace: We deliver at the right pace to meet the needs of our members and each other
- Trust: You can trust us to deliver on our promises
- Teamwork: We are one team and teamwork makes us better
About the role
Our online surveys team needs a new team member -
You will be responsible for the development and maintenance of online applications and the Jisc web estate both for public facing and internal systems and for other work across the Jisc as necessary, in line with priorities for development agreed by the Jisc information management board.
You will undertake the development planning and implementing improvements to the applications and websites in line with agreed overall Jisc direction in these areas. You will also build web services to connect data systems to support Jisc’s information architecture, in the context of IMB agreed priorities, taking advantage of new technology where appropriate, and will provide guidance on opportunities and increase the use of new technologies.
The post holder will be involved in a mixture of new development and ongoing maintenance for a variety of web applications.
We’re looking for someone with:
- Experience of building web applications using Python and the Django framework
- Experience building large and high traffic web applications
- Experience of working in a development team to build and implement web sites and applications, following deployment and build processes using code
- Experience of working with relational database engines, ideally PostgreSQL or MySQL
- Experience of working with NoSQL database engines, ideally Cassandra
Why work at Jisc
- We’re working towards being a pretty flexible organisation and our people having a good work/life balance is important to us. We focus on outputs and outcomes rather than presenteeism, so as long as you’re delivering to our high standards and doing a great job, we are open to a variety of working arrangements.
- We’re constantly learning and developing, and all our people have access to a comprehensive range of learning resources to help them achieve this.
- Our benefits are pretty good too – we offer 25 days holiday (plus 3 days Christmas closure), contribute a huge 18% to your 8% for your pension from day one, and can provide discounts with various IT suppliers, cycle to work schemes, season ticket loans, and generous parental leave arrangements (amongst many other things).
This role will be based in Bristol.
Jisc is a geographically-distributed organisation and travel across the UK may be required at times.
At Jisc we celebrate diversity and know that it’s critical for our success. We are continuing to drive an inclusive culture, so if you are great at what you do and embrace our values, we want to hear from you.
No agencies please.