We are looking to recruit an experienced Full Stack Developer to join the Literature Services Team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI) located on the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
We need experienced and self-motivated individuals to contribute to the development of EuropePMC
- a repository of 5 million full text biomedical research articles, supplemented with over 38 million abstracts, database links and citation information. Our content is also semantically enriched through the application of text-mining techniques to allow the development of new features within the context of other public biomedical data resources.
This is an excellent opportunity to contribute to an ambitious project that aims to become the literature resource of choice for life science and biomedical researchers in the UK, Europe and beyond.
The position reports to the Technical Coordinator for Literature Services.
The successful applicants should be able to demonstrate excellence in the following:
- Java technologies (Spring, Hibernate, JDBC, etc.)
- Tomcat, Apache Web Server
- Linux - Shell scripting
- SQL, PL/SQL
- Oracle/Mongo/Postgres RDBMS
You might also have
Good experience in the following will also be taken into account:
- Cloud based technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
- XML, XSLT
- Agile software development
It will also be desirable for candidates to possess some or all of the following:
- A University degree in Computer Science or have equivalent experience
- Knowledge of Bioinformatics or biological resource development experience
- Strong technical experience within scientific publishing or information science
- Experience working on data-driven websites with high user traffic
- Ability to operate in an international environment
The ideal candidate will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation. For more information about pay and benefits click here
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
What else you need to know
To view a copy of the job description please click here
Applications are welcome from all nationalities and this will continue after Brexit. For more information please see our website
. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
The initial contract is for a period of three years with the possibility of a fixed-term extension.
Applications will close at 23:00 British time on 03.07.2019. The period of work does not qualify for the Highly Qualified Migrants Programme.