Expedia needs YOU!
At Hotels.com (part of the Expedia Group) ensuring that our customers find the perfect hotel is an exciting mission for our technology teams.
We are looking for a Software Development Engineer to join our awesome team of bright minds. We are building Hotels.com's data streaming and ingestion platform, reliably handling many thousands of messages every second.
Our platform enables data producers and consumers to easily share and process information. We have built and continue to improve our platform using open source projects such as: Kafka, Kubernetes and Java Spring, all running in the cloud, and we love contributing our work back to the open source community.
What you'll do:
Are you interested in building a world-class, fast-growing data platform in the cloud?
- Are you keen to work with and contribute to open source projects?
- Do you have a real passion for clean code and finding elegant solutions to problems?
- Are you eager to learn streaming, cloud and Big Data technologies and keep your skills up to date?
- If any of those are true... Hotels.com is looking for you!
- We seek an enthusiastic, experienced and reliable engineer who enjoys getting things done.
- You should have good communication skills and be equally comfortable clearly explaining technical problems and solutions with analysts, engineers and product managers.
- We welcome your fresh ideas and approaches as we constantly aim to improve our development methodologies.
- Our team has experience using a wide range of cutting edge technologies and years of streaming, cloud and Big Data experience.
- We are always learning and growing, so we guarantee that you won't be bored with us!
We don’t believe in skill matching against a list of buzzwords…
However we do believe in hiring smart, friendly and creative people, with excellent programming abilities, who are on a journey to mastery through craftsmanship. We believe great developers can learn new technologies quickly and effectively but it wouldn't hurt if you have experience with some of the following (or a passion to learn them):
Kafka, Kubernetes, Spring, AWS, Spark Streaming, Hive, Flink, Docker.
Modern core and server side Java (concurrency, streams, reactive, lambdas).
Microservice architecture, design, and standard methodologies with an eye towards scale.
Building and debugging highly scalable performant systems.
Actively contributing to Open Source Software.
What you’ll do:
- Write clean, efficient, thoroughly tested code, backed-up with pair programming and code reviews.
- Much of our code is Java, but we use all kinds of languages and frameworks.
- Be part of an agile team that is continuously learning and improving.
- Develop scalable and highly-performant distributed systems with everything this entails (availability, monitoring, resiliency).
- Work with our business partners to flesh out and deliver on requirements in an agile manner.
- Evolve development standards and practices.
- Take architectural ownership for various critical components and systems.
- Proactive problem solving at the organization level.
- Communicate and document solutions and design decisions.
- Build bridges between technical teams to enable valuable collaborations.
As a team we love to:
- Favor clean code, and simple, robust architecture.
- Openly share knowledge in order to grow and develop our team members.
- Handle massive petabyte-scale data sets.
- Host and attend meetups and conferences to present our work. This year we've presented at the
- Dataworks Summit in Berlin and the Devoxx Conference in London.
- Contribute to Open Source. In recent years our team created Circus Train, Waggle Dance, BeeJU, CORC, Plunger, Jasvorno and contributed to Confluent, aws-alb-ingress-controller, S3Proxy, Cascading, Hive, HiveRunner, Kafka and Terraform. In addition, we are currently working towards open sourcing our streaming platform.
- Create an inclusive and fun workplace.
Do all of this in a comfortable, modern office, with a massive roof terrace in great location within central London!
We’ll take your career on a journey that’s flexible and right for you; recognizing and rewarding your achievements:
A conversation around flexible working and what will best fit you is encouraged at Hotels.com.
Competitive salaries and many growth opportunities within the wider global Expedia Group.
Option to attend conferences globally and enrich the technology skills you are passionate about.
Cash and Stock rewards for outstanding performance.
Extensive travel rewards and discounts for all employees, perfect for ticking some destinations off your bucket list!
We believe that a diverse and inclusive workforce, is the most awesome workforce…
We believe in being Different. We seek new ideas, different ways of thinking, diverse backgrounds and approaches, because averages can lie and conformity is dangerous.
Expedia is committed to crafting an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
We’re excited for you to make Expedia an even more awesome place to work!
So what are you waiting for? Apply now and join us on our journey to become the #1 travel company in the world!
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.