Man Alpha Technology
Front Office technology at Man is known as Alpha Technology. Alpha Technology was formed in 2018, bringing together a number of Investment Manager specific teams into a single business entity. Alpha Technology’s purpose is to “create a team, environment and technology platform which promotes the highest level of innovation and agility across all of our investment managers, whilst minimising unnecessary duplication of technology, tools and process.” It is structured into the following teams, each with their own CTO or Head of Technology reporting into the Man Alpha Technology CTO, who in turn reports to Man’s Chief Investment Officer:
- Alpha Platform Technology – responsible for the common front-office platform, comprising Data Engineering, Python Research and Development Infrastructure and Linux High Performance Compute.
- Execution Technology – responsible for Electronic Execution Technology and Trader facing tools.
- Risk Technology – responsible for core elements of front office risk technology.
- AHL Technology – responsible for AHL specific technology, including research systems, systematic trading strategies, portfolio construction tools and order management systems.
- GLG Technology – responsible for GLG specific technology, including quant tools, portfolio manager facing tools and order management systems.
- Numeric Technology – responsible for Numeric specific technology, including research systems, systematic trading strategies, portfolio construction tools and order management systems.
As a Quant Developer at AHL you will be working hand-in-hand with our Quant Researchers. Your challenges will be varied, and will involve implementing new trading strategies, building new research frameworks and quant libraries, prototyping new data feeds, development of new portfolio construction techniques or building risk analysis tools
Our systems are almost all running on Linux and most of our code is in Python, with the full scientific stack: numpy, scipy, pandas, scikit-learn to name a few of the libraries we use extensively. We implement the systems that require the highest data throughput in Java. For storage, we rely heavily on MongoDB and Oracle.
We use Airflow for workflow management, Kafka for data pipelines, Bitbucket for source control, Jenkins for continuous integration, Grafana + Prometheus for metrics collection, ELK for log shipping and monitoring, Docker for containerisation, OpenStack for our private cloud, Ansible for architecture automation, and HipChat for internal communication. But our technology list is never static: we constantly evaluate new tools and libraries.
Alpha Tech has a small company, no-attitude feel. It is flat structured, open, transparent and collaborative, and you will have plenty of opportunity to grow and have enormous impact on what we do. We are actively engaged with the broader technology community.
- We host and sponsor London’s PyData and Machine Learning Meetups
- We open-source some of our technology. See https://github.com/manahl
- We regularly talk at leading industry conferences, and tweet about relevant technology and how we’re using it. See @manquanttech
We’re fortunate enough to have a fantastic open-plan office overlooking the River Thames, and continually strive to make our environment a great place in which to work.
- We organise regular social events, everything from photography through climbing, karting, wine tasting and monthly team lunches
- We have annual away days and off-sites for the whole team
- We have a canteen with a daily allowance for breakfast and lunch, and an on-site bar for in the evening
- As well as PC’s and Macs, in our office you’ll also find numerous pieces of cool tech such as light cubes and 3D printers, guitars, ping-pong and table-football, and a piano.
We offer competitive compensation, a generous holiday allowance, various health and other flexible benefits. We are also committed to continuous learning and development via coaching, mentoring, regular conference attendance and sponsoring academic and professional qualifications.
Technology and Business Skills
We strive to hire only the brightest and best and most highly skilled and passionate technologists.
- Exceptional technology skills; recognised by your peers as an expert in your domain
- A proponent of strong collaborative software engineering techniques and methods: agile development, continuous integration, code review, unit testing, refactoring and related approaches
- Expert knowledge in one or more programming languages, preferably Python, Java and/or C/C++
- Proficient on Linux platforms with knowledge of various scripting languages
- Strong knowledge of one or more relevant database technologies e.g. Oracle, MongoDB
- Proficient with a range of open source frameworks and development tools e.g. NumPy/SciPy/Pandas, Pyramid, AngularJS, React
- Familiarity with a variety of programming styles (e.g. OO, functional) and in-depth knowledge of design patterns.
- An excellent understanding of financial markets and instruments
- Experience of front office software and/or trading systems development e.g. in a hedge fund or investment bank
- Expertise in building distributed systems with service-based or event-driven architectures, and concurrent processing
- A knowledge of modern practices for data engineering and stream processing
- An understanding of financial market data collection and processing
- Experience of web based development and visualisation technology for portraying large and complex data sets and relationships
- Relevant mathematical knowledge e.g. statistics, asset pricing theory, optimisation algorithms.
- Strong academic record and a degree with high mathematical and computing content e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or Physics from a leading university
- Craftsman-like approach to building software; takes pride in engineering excellence and instils these values in others
- Demonstrable passion for technology e.g. personal projects, open-source involvement
- Intellectually robust with a keenly analytic approach to problem solving
- Self-organised with the ability to effectively manage time across multiple projects and with competing business demands and priorities
- Focused on delivering value to the business with relentless efforts to improve process
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to establish and maintain a close working relationship with quantitative researchers, traders and senior business people alike
- Confident communicator; able to argue a point concisely and deal positively with conflicting views.