Starling is a bank – but not as you know it. We have built a bank that will change people’s relationship with money and it’s our mission to give customers the opportunity to feel more in control of their everyday money and financial health – so they can enjoy the things that matter most. In 2016 we announced a funding round of US$70m and were approved as a bank by the regulator – one year later we became the first mobile-only current account in the UK and we have just celebrated our first anniversary since our launch.
We are looking for technologists who specialise in database performance and data engineering to join a small, dynamic and agile team of technologists, entrepreneurs, designers, brand and customer experts with a flat structure in building a next generation bank. We’re building from scratch and are using the latest in technology to create a bespoke experience, delivered through your phone.
We have built our own banking system and have our own full ‘technology stack.’ Our development approach is agile-based, enabling rapid software upgrades and we are one of the first banks completely in the Cloud using Amazon Web Services. Our engineers are committed to keeping up with Apple and Android developments and delivering our updates efficiently to both systems. Have a look at our GitHub to see what our developers have been up to, and our Roadmap to see what we are looking to develop and deliver in the next 12 months! You can also see what was created from our first Hackathon which gave over 100 people the chance to come and flex their developer muscles. Our open APIs are unique in the banking world and create exciting opportunities for integration with other FinTechs such as Flux, Habito, Wealthify, PensionBee and more through the Starling Marketplace.
Could you see yourself here? We’d love to hear from you.
We are currently looking for 2 Data Engineers to join us – one senior and one junior – and are open to perm employees or a temp-to-perm arrangement.
In either of these roles, you will be:
- Responsible for the data platform in the bank which covers online relational database, application logic, data pipelines and big data analytics tools;
- Optimising the performance of and contributing generally to data processing elements of the banking platform;
- Contributing to the development of analytics capabilities across the various services within the Company;
- Working with the data science and machine learning specialists on a day to day basis;
- Implementation of database monitoring tools and diagnostics and proactive monitoring and management;
- Making improvements to the build-time and deployment-time mechanisms used for database changes;
- Optimisation of database queries and general usage, for the purposes of both acceptable performance and of correctness;
- Evangelism of best practice and training sessions to the wider engineering teams.
A can-do attitude, belief in our vision, and a willingness to roll-up your sleeves and get stuck in to anything and everything.
We don’t have a long list of requirements where specific skills and experience are concerned - instead, all that we ask is that you are a skilled, caring, invested, passionate engineer! Having said that, it's worth noting that:
- You'll ideally have lots of experience building high performance code.
- You'll be comfortable writing complex queries against large relational databases.
- We use Postgres a lot.
- Software development skills should include Java or anything similar.
- Nice to have experience of ETL / Data pipelines / Big Data toolsets.
We want to hear from people who love building things, creating new stuff, learning new technologies and skills and working with other great people across all different teams and areas to create a fantastic product.
Check out our careers page for perks!