Contractor to join an intrapreneurial start-up venture building an employability solution
At Pearson we have a rare opportunity for a driven, entrepreneurial individual who is excited to get the experience of working on an employability start-up, with the unique benefits of innovation coaches and corporate backing by Pearson – the world’s leading learning company with global reach and market-leading businesses.
In 2018 a small team of employees from Pearson VUE successfully pitched to receive £200k of seed-stage funding from Pearson’s internal incubator, the Tomorrow’s Markets Incubator (TMI). The Tomorrow’s Markets Incubator is designed to build completely new products, with new business models, that reach new customer markets for Pearson, and deliver social impact through reaching underserved communities.
The team have completed comprehensive market research and are in the ‘prototype phase’ of the incubator. They are in the process of taking a concept on paper and turning it into an actual business (the minimum viable venture) that is ready to begin pilot sales. Ventures in the incubator follow a unique ‘venture innovation’ methodology, and the Field Assistant will be expected to learn and effectively apply that methodology in their role, in support of the Venture Director and Field Lead.
In addition to direct funding, the Tomorrow’s Markets Incubator provides support to venture teams by way of strategic guidance and hands-on coaching that the Field Assistant will benefit from.
The Venture Field Assistant will join a small, dynamic team of employees from Pearson VUE. In this career-enhancing opportunity, it will be your responsibility to:
- Assist the Venture Field Lead to conduct desk, academic and in-field customer research with diverse customer demographics and employer organisations. This will include designing the research plan, building research guides, identifying who to interview, executing research to uncover unarticulated pain points and taking detailed notes
- Ability to synthesise both quantitative and qualitative research into key findings, to demonstrate an understanding of the market and strategic realities within a corporation and use insight to drive a fully-fledged start-up that is capable of generating significant revenue
- Help analyse successes and failures from any testing of the ‘minimum viable venture’ (note: this includes not just testing the product but the marketing, HR support, customer acquisition, etc.)
- Build exceptional relationships with internal and external stakeholders (including the Pearson leadership team, the TMI investment committee, potential customers, etc.)
- Help with day-to-day project management: scheduling meetings, collating meeting notes, writing regular status reports to the core TMI team, communicating with precision and clarity on the venture’s latest progress and next steps
- Track and monitor key performance indicators, including compiling reports as inputs into operational and/or financial modelling activities e.g. researching market wages
- Use own initiative to ensure the team stays “on track” to plan, be adaptable to take on a diverse range of tasks, to manage multiple deadlines and deliverable, and to effectively manage own workload in a dynamic and ever changing startup environment (e.g. can work under pressure).
You will come with a strong academic background and some professional and/or entrepreneurial experience, perhaps having contributed to start-up businesses in your career, and ideally with good knowledge of the education and/or recruitment industry.
We are looking for someone with a strong can-do attitude, great people skills, entrepreneurial spirit, determination to problem solve in an uncertain environment and evolving project definition of success. As the Venture Field Assistant, you will have strong research and analytical skills (both exploratory and evaluative), experience reporting and KPI tracking, an eye for detail, be highly organised and able to independently structure and lead your own work. You will be working in a fast paced, detail oriented and flexible environment and must be open to adapting your knowledge and skills to suit the requirements of the accelerator programme and are comfortable with non-traditional work hours. Think start-up rather than corporate!
In return, you will gain hands on experience in all aspects of venture development (e.g. how to build a profitable business), learn a proprietary venture innovation methodology, get exposure to experienced innovation coaches and be part of the team redefining recruitment.
You will report to the Venture Field Lead, and work closely with the Venture Director, Tomorrow’s Market Incubator external support team and an experienced venture innovation coach. Key to the success of this position will be working closely with the Venture Field Lead, following directives in a support role, to build a minimum viable venture.
Venture Field Assistant
- Flexible working location (field office and/or home-based)
- London/Manchester based with monthly travel opportunities to Manchester/ London
- Project expected to last up to 6 months (with potential option for contract renewal)
- Pay rate up to £22,500 – £28,000 pro-rata, working full-time hours
- Independent contractor
How to Apply
Please complete the answers below and send to Alexandra.Simmons@pearson.com along with a copy of your CV.
We are reviewing applications regularly and interviews are being scheduled now, therefore we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible. Should you have any questions please message Alexandra.
Wishing you the very best of success with your application!
1/ What is the biggest challenge with the way employment / recruitment currently happens today?
2/ What elements are needed to make a venture successful?
3/ Please tell us about a recent project where you have been responsible for completing in-depth research to uncover insights using both consumer research and data analysis.
[We are interested in your approach to problem solving through research, your ability to identify themes, and how you collate and validate ideas]
4/ What other skills or experience do you have, that we did not mention in the job description, but would make you particularly effective at this role?
5/ Why are you interested in this role?